- A+
今天给大家介绍几个在日常生活中经常用到的英语口语:
1 nitwit
糊涂虫,关于这个nit,有的说是来自于德国方言,是德语nicht not的变体,意思是没有,有的说是来自于美国,一般美国人听到nit第一反应就是虱子的幼虫,因此,从德国方言来说,nitwit意思是没有智慧,从美国方言来看,nitwit意思是智商只有虱子幼虫那样高。所以就用nitwit来指那些稀里糊涂的人,没有分辨能力的人。语调比较轻松,常常带有戏谑的味道。
Has that nitwit lost his wallet again?
那个糊涂虫又把钱包弄丢了?
Have you seen that nit-witted Tom?
你见到过那个糊涂虫汤姆了吗?
Shut up you nitwit. Leave me alone.
闭嘴,蠢货。走开。
Open the door you nitwit.
开门,你这个蠢蛋。
My friend is such a nitwit for thinking butter isn't a carb.
我的朋友真蠢,竟然认为黄油不是碳水化合物。
Cmon Dale you nitwit I was just joking .
得了,戴尔,你这个傻缺,我在开玩笑啊。
There was a fly on the glass window and the nitwit used a hammer to try to kill it. He is SUCH a nitwit.
窗口的玻璃上有只苍蝇,这个傻瓜用一把锤子去灭蝇。他真是蠢的可以
。
He got pulled over by the cops. The cop said he was doing 50 in a 30 mph zone. He told the cop No I was going 60. He is such a nitwit.
警察让他停车。警察说他在每小时三十英里的区域车速达到每小时五十英里。他告诉警察不对,我的车速是每小时六十英里。他真是个二百五。
2 keep one’s nose clean
守规矩,原意是如果往脏的地方伸鼻子,就会把鼻子搞脏,如果不往脏地方伸鼻子,鼻子就会保持清洁。因此该短语经常用于遵纪守法。
这个短语来自于另一个十八世纪在英国广泛使用的短语keep the hands clean,这个短语的意思是远离贪污,这个短语传到美国以后,就变成了keep your nose clean,意思是远离是非之地,这个新短语后来也就演变成了不要做任何带有阴暗面的事情。
I’ve kept my nose clean for three years now. I will not risk getting into trouble with the law again.
到目前为止,我遵纪守法已经三载。我不会再冒违犯法律的风险了。
The cop warned us to keep our noses clean or he’d run us in.
条子警告我们老实点,否则就把我们抓进去。
I’ve kept my nose clean all my life.
我一生遵纪守法。
Since I lectured him about cheating on tests, he seems to be keeping his nose clean.
自从我训诫他考试作弊以后,他看起来老实多了。
My nose is clean. I didn’t steal the bike.
我是清白的。我没有偷自行车。
I'd only been out of prison three months, so I was trying to keep my nose clean.
我才出狱三个月,因此我竭力遵纪守法。
By avoiding the drug dealers on the corner street, James was making an effort to keep his nose clean.
避免在大街上接触那个毒贩,詹姆斯在努力摆脱麻烦。
The officer kept his nose clean by not associating with the known corrupt policemen at the bureau.
这位警官在警局中不与那位众所周知的贪污警员接触,以此保证自己的清白。
I have learned that the best way to avoid getting in trouble with the police is to keep one's nose clean.
我知道不跟警察惹上麻烦的最佳方式就是遵纪守法。
It is hard for Lisa to keep her nose clean when several members of her family are involved in one crime or the other.
Lisa的家庭成员卷入到一场场的犯罪活动,这很难使她保持清白。
Everyone urged Matt to keep his nose clean by avoiding Peter's company following the warrant issued for his arrest.
在彼得的逮捕令签署以后,每个人都督促马特远离彼得的公司以示清白。
3 a big cheese
大人物,这里的cheese不是奶酪的意思,它是来自于印地语chiz(物),在英国的殖民时期,驻扎在印度的英国人开始把这个词当作英语使用,意思是大人物,有权有势的人,前面加上big以示亲密。如果把a换成the,意思就变成了领袖、首长或总经理之类的最有权势的角色了。
Her old man is a big cheese in New York.
她老爸在纽约是个大人物。
Who’s the big cheese around here?
谁是这里的老大?
Talkies’re the cheese.
有声片是最高级的东西。
Hermes may be a big cheese in the world of luxury goods, but in the world of Swiss watchmaking it is something of an outsider.
赫耳墨斯在豪华品里面算是翘楚,但在瑞士制表业它就不入流了。
Cheddar Inc. wants to be the big cheese on campus.
领英公司想做校园的老大。
Jacob thinks he's a big cheese now that he's been promoted to assistant manager.
既然雅各被提为助理经理,他现在以为他就是大人物了。
I'm the big cheese around here, so you have to do what I say.
我是这里的老大,因此你要照着我说得做。
Maire is undoubtedly the big cheese of the Jura wine producers.
梅雷无疑是汝拉州葡萄酒生产商中的佼佼者。
Several big cheeses from the State Department attended the conference.
国务院的几位大人物出席了会议。
He was a big-cheese divorce lawyer.
他是一位很牛的离婚律师。
His father’s a big wheel in the textile industry.
他父亲是纺织业的重要人物。
The guy is among the big cheeses in the region and his word rules.
这个家伙是该地区的主要人物之一,他的话语权也很高。
Ever since his promotion, he has started to feel that he is the big cheese in the company.
自晋升以来,他就开始感到自己是公司中的佼佼者。
My sister was the big cheese in the family and people had to follow her whims no matter how silly they sounded.
我姐姐是一家人的老大,无论她的想法听起来多么愚蠢,人们都必须遵循它们。
He has been the big cheese even before the elections, now he only has a position to his name.
甚至在大选之前,他就一直是位大人物,现在,他只是名至实归罢了。
I cannot guarantee you will become the big cheese by heading in this direction but there is certainly a possibility.
我不能保证您会成为这个领域的老大,但肯定有这个可能性。
4 Be neck and neck
势均力敌,这是通过赛马用语发展过来的,原意是两匹或者多匹马奔跑时脖子(neck)并成一排,类似于汉语中的并驾齐驱,在汽车、选举、猜谜等的比赛中及其它的各种竞赛中经常使用。
The two horses were neck and neck as they entered the homestretch.
两匹马进入终点直道时就并驾齐驱。
When the votes were half entered, the two candidates were still neck and neck.
当选票进入一半时,两位候选人仍然并驾齐驱。
The three leading teams are fighting neck and neck for the pennant.
三支领先的队伍势均力敌,正在为夺得锦旗而战。
The two debating teams are in a neck-and-neck battle for first place.
两支辩论队为争夺第一名而展开了势均力敌的斗争。
As they approached the finish line they were neck and neck.
当他们接近终点线时,他们并驾齐驱。
The latest polls indicate that the two main parties are neck and neck.
最新民意调查显示,两个主要政党不相上下。
A month ago, the two parties were neck and neck on who voters trusted to manage the economy.
一个月前,在选民信任的由谁来管理经济方面,两个政党不相上下。
Our final poll shows the two sides neck and neck at the end of the campaign.
我们的最终民意测验显示,在选举结束时双方不相上下。
The two have been neck and neck for years.
多年来双方不相上下。
5 Suit someone down to the ground
正合某人的意,down to the ground对suit起强调作用,意思是从头顶一直到地面,也就是完全的意思。
The climate in Arizona
suits me down to the ground.
亚利桑那州的气候完全适合我。
Being a forest-fire lookout is lonely work, but it suits me right down to the ground.
做个森林防火值班员是一项孤独的工作,但它确实适合我。
Our plans don’t seem to suit Mark exactly down to the ground, but I think he will go along with them.
我们的计划似乎并不完全适合马克,但我认为他会适应的。
Part-time work would suit me right down to the ground.
兼职工作将完全适合我。
Their London house suits them down to the ground.
他们在伦敦的房子很适合他们。
I'm cold all the time, so this hot weather really suits me down to the ground.
我一直很冷,所以这种炎热的天气真的很适合我。
A later meeting would suit me down to the ground.
我很适合晚点开会。
Her new work hours suit her down to the ground.
她的新工作时间很适合她。
I’ve found a job that suits me down to the ground: the pay’s great and I can work from home.
我找到了一份适合我的工作:薪水很高,我可以在家工作。
6 druthers
宁愿,这是I would rather的缩略形式,而且是一个相当随便的说法,在日常对话中使用较多,经常以If I had my druthers, I’d -- 的形式出现。
If I had my druthers, I’d stay home today.
如果让我选择,我今天宁愿呆在家里。
I thought I’d order our dinner brought in tonight. Do you have any druthers?
我想我们的晚餐就点外卖吧。你喜欢什么菜?
Well, those are your three choices. Name your druthers.
好啦,你有三项选择。说出你的最爱。
My husband never asks me my druthers.
我老公从来不问我喜欢什么。
If he had his druthers, I suspect he’d still be in bed.
如果他有他的爱好,我怀疑那就是他躺在床上。
If I had my druthers, I’d be sailing on the bay with a beer in my fist right now instead of doing the month-end stock-taking.
如果我有爱好,我现在会手握啤酒在海湾航行,而不是在月底进行盘点。
Given his druthers, this president would exile critics just as dying colonial regimes would send off dissidents without hope of physical return.
鉴于总统喜好,他将放逐批评家,就像垂死的殖民政权将持不同政见者遣散而没有希望重返社会那样。
But left to their druthers, writers are people who would like to sit in a room and type; it’s a strange affliction.
作家们的爱好是坐在一个房间里打字;这是一种奇怪的苦中取乐。